The hype! The Jive! It’s almost here! Record Store Day 2017!!!! Chi Grooves presents our official guide to #RSD2017 in the city of Chicago. We’ll be updating this blog all the way up to and possibly during record store day so check back frequently.
Just in case you fell off the face of the planet for a few months or possibly have been living in some vegged out state like a coma or something, this is the 10th annual record store day and it is happening Saturday, April 22. Here is the official record store day release list.
As part of Record Store Day 2017 Vocola has been putting out shows on Chicago record stores. These are pretty fun. Check ’em out:
So here we go. This is what you’re looking at for Record Store Day 2017 in the Chi:
- Dusty Groove is having free comics, toys & other fun stuff for the kiddos while supplies last, plus a magician in the early afternoon. Here’s their record store day list.
- Beverly Records has published their list of inventory and will have the following:
- 20% off used vinyl
- White Castle Sliders
- $2.00 LPs
- 25 cent 45s
- Railway Gamblers will perform an accoustic concert.
- Check out this DNA-Info piece on Beverly.
- Kstarke Records has free food, drinks, RSD releases, new and used vinyl plus DJs: Mark Grusane, Alexander William Gonzales, Jesse S Andwich, Glenna J Fitch, Jarvis Mason, Jerome Derradji, Kevin Starke, Tim Zawada, Mike L Bangles and bands: LETTUCEHEAD and The Wick!!!
- Check out this Reader article on Kstarke!
- Reckless Records put out a google doc to help you navigate their stores. In addition, they’ll have some cool free stuff including slip mats celebrating their beer collaboration “Hand Over Fist” with Revolution Brewing & much more. They will also be having bands:
- At the Milwaukee Ave store: The Smoking Popes, OHMME, and MAGAS.
- At the Broadway store: CARPENTERSville plays the Brown Album, TALsounds and The Poison Arrows.
- Dave’s Records published official rules for RSD2017. Additionally, Stonebelly will be performing an acoustic set at 3PM.
- Bucket O’ Blood is having one of the more interesting parties. A Luau Extravaganza!!!! No $h!t. They’re also turning this into a neighborhood party. I can’t describe this in my own words so here are the deets from their facebook event:
- A Hawaiian-themed celebration with tons of food, drinks, games and fun! Come dressed in your finest Hawaiian shirt or coconut bra!
- How low can our sales prices go?? It depends how low YOU can go in our limbo competition! A hula hoop contest? Sure why not?!!
- Tropical themed drinks will keep things festive throughout the day, and as usual, everyone buying RSD releases will get a special themed shot!”
- They’ve teamed up with their neighbors for a “dream vacation package.” Grab a passport from us and say Aloha as you take a trip around the ‘hood.
- Get yourself some celebratory beers at The Beer Temple and bring them!
- Take your newly aquired records over to DMen Tap and have them played while you take a load off in their cozy bar!
- Make sure you get your passport stamped at each destination because at the end of the day we will come together to raffle off a very special Great Lakes Brewing Company turntable!!!! (you do not need to be present to win; you do need stamps from all 3 businesses). There will be
- Additional prizes
- Great Lakes has teamed up with us to celebrate their delicious Turntable Pilsner -which will be available at Beer Temple, DMen and right here in the store.
- Bric-a-Brac has live music, limited RSD releases, and some vegan treats! Bands are: Staring Problem, Roman Polanski’s Baby (Nashville), Bev Rage and the Drinks, Evil Triplet, and L.I.A.R.
- Over 2000 45s two for a dollar. Once we sell enough the cases will be available, too!
- Borderline Music has 25% off all used vinyl and free beer from Empirical brewery.
- Bloodshot Records Chicago HQ storefront pop-up shop will be open for business! with free refreshments.
- They’ll have some unique items, test pressings, signed stuff, out-of-print stuff, and just regular stuff. We’ll bring out some rare vinyl, old RSD releases, and more.
- Pinwheel Records has live music all day and food.
- Dirt Cheap Date, Dream Version, Jesse W. Johnson & Coyote Scream, Junkee Girl, Gia Margaret, Mother Nature Music, and Not Myself
- Gramaphone Records is hosting release parties for two exclusive titles: Mr. White’s new Memphis based label, Edgewood Estate and new Chicago imprint “Night Sea Journey” have prepared limited Gramaphone editions of their 12″s. Both feature full-cover screen-printed jackets.
- There will be in-store performances by NSJ crew, Mr. White, Gphone staffers